…was hard to find this week. More frogging than knitting going on over here! I started a pair of fingerless mitts from the latest Knitscene magazine – called Aegean mitts…and I have made so many mistakes! Not a complicated pattern really, just inattention on my part. Anyway, I’m using a lovely yarn I bought down on Yarns on York called Mulberry and Merino – a gorgeous blend of silk and merino wool in a teal blue. Gorgeous yarn, but trust me, you don’t want to do a lot of frogging with this stuff! I hope to finish them this weekend since I lost my Maine Morning mitts and I’m missing them dearly.
On a positive note, I’m working on a new pattern which I hope to have up next week. I also had some technical difficulties with it, and frogged it a number of times before I was satisfied. I’m knitting prototype number 2 right now, but have the pattern typed up and charted and ready to go! I also completed another silk kerchief, this time in the same colourway Kate Osborn Gagnon used in her lovely pattern – and it is perfect. There is something so soothing about knitting garter stitch with a lovely, soft yarn that keeps changing colours.
On another knitting note, this is usually the time of year when I get the knitting blahs, and keep a couple of small projects on the go, but this year is different. Ravelry for one. I mean how many amazing shawl patterns can one person fave? I don’t know which one to start first….and the new knitting books. Have you seen Veronik Avery’s new book – Knitting 24/7? It looks amazing. I’m also very impressed with the look of Knitting Green by Ann Budd. It looks like a spot-on book to get for summer knitting. Here are a couple of my faves from Veronik’s new book.
Now on the important topic of biscuits. I was intrigued to see in my local newspaper last week that someone wrote in to Heloise requesting that she reprint the recipe for Angel Biscuits. My kids and I are huge fans of biscuits, particularly when served with butter and homemade jam, or perhaps floating on top of a creamy homemade chicken pot pie. So I decided to try this recipe (note the yeast – biscuits with yeast?? I never!) This recipe was originally published in the early 1960s, and it says “the dough can be kept in the refrigerator in a covered bowl or container for up to 3 days.”
Here is the recipe:
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup sugar (or 2 Tbsp)
1/2 cup shortening (Iused butter cuz that’s how I roll, G)
1 cup buttermilk.
Dissolve yeast in the warm water and set aside. Mix the dry ingredients together (note: I do this ion my food processor – so much easier!) Cut in the shortening (or butter) – again I use my food processor and pulse until the pieces of butter are the size of small peas. Stir in the buttermilk and yeast mixture. Blend thoroughly. The dough is ready to refrigerate. When you want to bake the biscuits, turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead lightly. Roll out, cut with a biscuit cutter and place the biscuits on a greased pan an inch or so apart (I use a stone). Let the dough rise slightly before baking in a 400 F degree oven for about 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with love! …and maybe butter and jam.